Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Planer alignment driving me insane

"Allen Roy" wrote in message
I have been working on a custom cutting board for SWMBO for the last 2
weeks (roughly 2 hours per week) and have found after planing some small
parts that my Delta JT160 is out of alignment. I thought no big deal,
grabbed my square and set it against the fence. The outfeed table is right
on. However the infeed table is perplexing. It was out about .010 at the
top on the left and .015 on the right side. I made some shims for it and
the left side was then right on. Now the right side is over corrected by
.009.When I bring the fence back over the tables, there is more of a gap
on the left side of the infeed than on the right. As you keep sliding the
fence toward the front of the machine, the gap evens up.

Could this be a possible twisted table? I have tried everything that I
can think of.

Thanks,
Allen

Thanks to all that responded to opinions on table saws. I purchased the
Dewalt ( yes new as this is my first *new* power tool over $500 ). And it
gave me a love kiss tonight as well.

Out of alignment? What are the results that you ate getting. You may be
worrying about and adjusting the wrong thing. Other than snipe I cannot
think of how an in feed or out feed table would introduce a problem.
I have a Stationary Delta planer and both In feed and out feed roller tables
tilt up towards the planer as they near the planer. I have no alignment
problems. Many planers including large ones have no in feed or out feed at
all so they are not essential to getting good results but only an aid in
holding one end of the board as it enters and exits the planer.
What are you calling a fence that you set your square against?