Posted to uk.d-i-y
CraigB CraigB is offline

Default Replacement CH boiler

My new house comes complete with a Baxi Barcelona CH boiler which
repeatedly locks out. following speaking to a plumber friend of mine
and reading up on numerous horror stories on the web, it seems that I
may be wise to replace the whole thing.

The house is a large, 4 bed, detached Victorian house with an attic
conversion. Currently there is a family bathroom plus a small bathroom
in the attic conversion and a total of 20 radiators. Once we complete
building work I expect to have an en-suite with shower, a guest
bathroom with bath and shower, plus a bathroom in the attic conversion
which will either have a shower or bath with shower over. I have 2
growing daughters who will soon be competing for hot water first thing
in the morning and it may well be realistic for 2 showers to be running
simultaneously.

The current Baxi system is coupled with a large (4/5ft tall ?) Heatrae
Sadia Megaflo cylinder and the hot water system is mains pressure. I
know next to nothing about how the Megaflo system works, which may
explain my next question...

My friend has suggested (by phone) a Worcester-Bosch 40Cdi boiler,
which has lots of interesting stats. such as a 16l flow rate. Googling
has also found the Worcester-Bosch Highflow 440 with a 20l flow rate
(though this declines to 11l once the 'heat bank' is exhausted). Am I
right in assuming that the Megaflo cylinder would mean that the 40Cdi
could meet my requirements as well as the 440 could ? He's also
offering me mates rates utilising his trade discount to get the 40CDi
for circa 940+VAT...which seems better than anything google has found.

Any alternative boiler suggestions ?

TIA,

Craig