Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default (Another) Wiring Question

In article .com, "Terry" wrote:
On Dec 10, 9:00 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, "Terry"

wrote:

I admit I don't know, but I would think instead of going to #10 and a
30A circuit you would be required to run 2 separate 20A circuits if the
total load exceeded 16A.

Why? Is there some reason you think it would not be acceptable to attach a

16A
load to a 30A circuit?

Like I have said, I don't know for sure, but I have it in my head that
if you can limit the load to 15A or 20A then you should.

You seem to be confusing "load" with "capacity". In any event, there is *no*
reason why you could not connect a 16A load to a 30A circuit.
[snip]

My assumption for using 240V was that the OP had made the same mistake
we all do in referring to 110-220 and 120-240 interchangeably. If this
was the case, then the load would be 14.6A. Maybe I didn't say that
too clearly, but that would be my observation. I am sure he got the
wattage right, and I would think that he couldn't buy a heater for the
home if it was truly rated for 220V.

I would think that, too -- but when talking about electricity, assumptions can
be deadly dangerous if they prove to be incorrect. The only reason I raised
the issue is that the mention of installing the heater on a "220V circuit"
raises the possibility that the devices may have been rated at 220V instead of
240V, and hence the possibility that they may draw more current than
anticipated when operated at the higher voltage.

--
Regards,