Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Xmttrman Xmttrman is offline

Default hear radio broadcast on the phone???interfere modem.

On 10 Dec 2006 11:27:47 -0800, wrote:

I have problem with one of the phone jack on the wall, sometimes i hear
some kind of
radio broadcast on the phone. Even though it's very faint, it interfere
with the the
dial up modem, and cause the connection to stop.
I replace the old jack,but it doesn't solve it.

Another jack on the same line does not have this problem, but the jack
is too far away from
my computer.
I don't even has a radio or walkman or TV in the apartment, so i don't
know how the radio
broadcast got into the phone line.

Any suggestion of how to elimnate the interfernce from the radio?

I live a mile from a 5KW AM station and had problems with radio audio in the telephone. My phone
jacks were wired with jacketed two-pair unshielded wires. One of the pairs was unused. It turns out
the unused pair acted as an antenna and fed RF to the phone. The phone rectified the RF and you know
the rest. My solution: ground the unused pairs close to the tie point of your incoming phone line's
terminal block; a cold-water pipe is best. That fixed my interference problem.

Xmttrman