Posted to alt.electronics,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.design
ehsjr ehsjr is offline

Default 12v auto pump from 110v?

w9gb wrote:
"ehsjr" wrote in message
news:6dBeh.298$Et5.228@trndny07...

w9gb wrote:

"T-n-T" wrote in message

Can a 12v windshield wiper pump be run from a wall wart? I am putting
together a mist system for a terrarium, so it will run about 1 minute
2-3 times a day or so. If it will run from a wall wart any suggestions
would be great.

Todd

Wall warts ONLY handle currents up to about 1 Amp - MAX.

Ed

Um, not to give the op hope, but ...
See cat# dctx 1215 from http://www.allelectronics.com/
for a 1.5 amp 12 volt wall wart and cat # 16760 from
http://www.mpja.com/ for a 2 amp 12 volt wall wart.

Yes, these are OLD surplus designs -- new mfg. are generally now avoiding
(that is why they are on the surplus web sites/resellers).
They usually do not stay in the duplex outlet without screw attachment to
cover plate.
Readily available 1 and 2 foot line cord jumpers --- help with this problem.
These older designs stretched the definition of WallWart -- due to
transformer's weight !

New ones are more "brick like" with short AC cord OR use standardized IEC
jack.

gb

gb

The new stuff is nice. It seems like most everything new
is going to switchers. I suspect one of the factors is
the weight you mentioned. Take a look at the wall wart
switchers like Mouser part #'s
418-TR25120-04 2.1Amps
418-TR30R120 2.5Amps
831-PW128RA1203B01 2.5Amps
552-PSA-15R-120-R 1.25Amps
552-PSA-21R-120-R 1.67Amps

Allelectronics sells a switcher wall wart at 2.6 amps,
cat # PS-1226

For non-switcher new wall warts 1 amp see Mouser part #'s
553-WDU12-1200 1.2Amps
553-WDU12-1900 1.9Amps

A lot of choices 1 amp, but not necessarily suitable
for the OP. I suspect not. I posted a different
possibility for the OP.

Ed