Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Headstock bearing noise - HELP

We have one of those generals at the turners club and a couple of the
members also have them.
They, the 10" General International, does have a tendency to have the
pulleys come loose.
So make sure all the set screws are tight.

Now if you are certain that the headstock bearings are the culprit,
don't wait to chance them, there's a good chance the bearing will
cease, and if that happens there's a chance the inner or outer bearing
race is pulled around, and if that happens it will damage the lathe.

Small chance, maybe, but why take it, you really have a problem if it
happens, and you will have to change them anyway in short order.

Try to get better quality sealed bearings from your bearing supply
place, they should not be that expensive.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

wrote:
Hi,

I have a General 25-100 10" swing midi lathe and its about 2 years old.
I have just become aware that at about 3000 rpm and above the headstock
bearings make an intermittent but sill rather coninuous popping chirp (
but not very high pitched ) racing sound. I have run the motor with out
the belt and it is quiet, so its not the motor. When you rotate the
headstock spindle by hand you can somewhat hear the bearings make noise
but it is neither a rough or high pitched sound. It just sounds like
the bearings are dry or something ( they are permanetly sealed bearings
). As I have more recently been using the lathe at higher speeds I do
not know it this is an old or new problem. There doesnt seem to be any
play in the spindle.
Any suggestions if the bearings need to be replaced?