Posted to rec.woodworking
scott scott is offline

Default Noob - Cut too much off miter cut for base trim - options?

I have been collecting woodworking equipment for various projects but
the current mission style double bay bookcase is my first real
woodworking project from scratch. I took some Wood mag plans and
modified them to make a double bookcase as the wife needs more book
storage. Things had been going along swimmingly, until yesterday.

I was cutting the bottom base trim for the bookcase, the trim covers
both of the double bay bookcase fronts and wraps, with the 45 deg mitre
cuts to join side base trim. It has 2" legs cut on the ends, and one
in the middle. I had one end done, then cut the other and it was about
1/8" too long. Ok, So I measured and used a square to draw a line,
double checked, and then cut. Well, now its about 3/32 too darn short!
&$%(&@! Now, I've thought to ways to solve this and wanted to ask
for sage advice.

1. remake the part (obvious answer)
2. trim a little off of the side overhangs of the front vertical trim,
which would recess the base trim a bit to fit correctly
3. (the one I'm currently favoring) Cut the center leg portion out of
the trim with vertical cuts, then replace with a slightly bigger peice
to make the total trim part fit correctly. Use biscuits to join the
wood.
4. Cut in part of the leg as above, but only insert a small 3/32 slice
held in place by biscuit(s)
5. Use wood putty to fill the gap at the miter joint (LOL)

As the finished part will show so totally,I figured replacing all the
leg portion of the center would make it appear as if it was designed
that way. I could orient the grain vertically to give some contrast.

Any advice?

other misc questions:

A buddy who has built much furniture recommended I finish parts before
assembly, but this seems like a PITA. What is recommended by the
majority?

Currenly the carcass for the bookcase rests on the floor, but I was
considering making the base trim be the only support as it was in the
plans from Wood although I modified them somewhat. Is is preferable to
have less contact with the floor, or would having the plywood frame
also hitting add strength? We'll have this baby loaded with books,
need strength. FYI, Trim is 3/4" QS oak.

Thanks, S