Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Generator Recommendations and Advise

"Husky" wrote in message
Just make sure that you have plenty of gas pressure or a large, private
supply of propane, and if on utility gas, none of your neighbors have the
same idea. Lots of people with these type units in Western New York found
out the hard way this fall when that freak early wet snow had some out of
power over a week. When all those natural gas generators kicked on the
pressure dropped so much that they couldn't run. My friends with the 8kW
Generac gasoline power unit had power whenever they wanted it.

I have heard opinions on both sides of this issue as to whether natural gas
supply and pressure actually drops in an area when a storm hits thus
crippling emergency generators, or if gas pressure and supply actually
improves since the vast majority of people without electricity cannot use
their furnaces, dryers, ovens, etc. thereby leaving a greater supply for
those who can draw natural gas. Our local gas company also claims that they
manufacture gas powered electricity to run their distribution system to
avoid dependency on local electrical supply. My experience being in the very
heart of a recent extended outage in Amherst New York was that homes with
natural gas generators including my next door neighbor ***had electricity***
but that gasoline was extremely difficult if not impossible to find on a
continuing basis for those with gasoline powered generators.

What actual experiences have people encountered elsewhere?

Thanks,

Smarty