Posted to alt.home.repair
Evo Evo is offline

Default Installing Bead Board Panels

Tonk wrote:

Dear NG,

This is my first post to this group and I'm sure not the last. What a
gold mine of information here. I have some tools, but I'm not very
good with them! I've layed lots of tile and hardwood floor, and most
jobs have looked pretty good. But, I know why I'm a biologist and not
a finish carpenter! My first question for the group - is there any way
to exchange pictures with other members or upload to a server like you
can do on Yahoo groups? The second thing I should probably mention is
I don't know a lot of the terminology and slang, so please be patient
if I ask a lot of questions. Finally, please let me know if there is a
more appropriate place to post this message.

Here's my project. I'm installing some of those precut (like 30 or 36"
tall by 5' long) finished bead boards that you can get at Lowes in a
hallway. I have an outside corner to deal with. I found a piece of
trim with a lip on it the thickness of the bead board that will fit
nicely on top of the bead board. As for the corner, I realized that if
I run the board clear to the end of the wall and put an outside corner
trim over it, then I'm in trouble with the top trim. There would be no
way to get the top trim over the corner trim, as the corner trim sits
on top of the board making it impossible for the top trim with a 3/16"
lip to cover what now is nearly 1/2" projection. Plan b was to install
the corner trim first and then butt the bead board up against the
corner trim, effectively eliminating the problem of different heights.
Can anyone suggest other ideas?

Tonk

Normally you use a chair rail molding as the top trim on beadboard and it's
fairly hefty and should cover corner bead. Always install top trim first
and cut corner to fit.

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking this is where I post pictures

RV
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"