Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default (Another) Wiring Question

In article , Terry wrote:

I am still not sure I follow your explanation. It is true that there
are more than one application for 220V 240V and even 208V, but is it
not true that all homes are designed to be 220 nominal?

No, not really -- utility supplies have been 240V for quite a while now.

I am not sure how buying anything for a home would be designed for
anything else?

The op says 220V and I am sure that he got that from the box. Why
would a home owner assume they had more than 2 choices?

The point is simply that if the heaters are rated for so many watts at 220V,
when installed on the 240V supply that the OP almost certainly has, they will
draw more current -- enough more that they cannot both be used on the same 20A
circuit. If their rated output of so many watts was rated at 240V, then they
can both be used on the same 20A circuit.

I am also not sure why you would be able to go to a 30A circuit. While
it is true that using a 30A circuit would be more than adequate, I am
unsure that is it permitted by the code. (I hope someone can cite the
section)

Why would it not be permitted? The breaker is there to protect the *wire*, not
what's attached to it. Look: you probably have an electric can opener in your
kitchen. It's plugged into a 20A circuit, even though it's about a 1amp
device. So what?

As a matter of fact, if the rated output of the OP's heaters was determined at
220V instead of 240V, and he puts them both on a single 240V circuit, the Code
*requires* that circuit to be 30A *minimum*.

--
Regards,