Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Musing: Art vs Woodturning

Thanks Joe and Robert for your kind reassurances that there is a place
here for idly reflecting on things that may or may not directly involve
working at our lathes.
Glad you two and others took up the 'burden'. Your musing is great,
as are the responses. Keep em coming, folks.

I believe there is some merit in the 'analysis--paralysis' theory of
personal turned wood design. Maybe like life "the unexamined design
isn't worth turning", but in my case I hope neither is true. I suppose
that one definition of art might be that it is communication without
language. That may be so, but timber only talks to me when I hurt it
with a wrong cut. The turnings I make out of it rarely do much more than
mumble and grunt. My inspiration, if you can call it that, mostly comes
after the blank starts spinning.

Regardless, I enjoy turning wood and take pleasure in holding and
looking at some of my work, but it is the icing on the cake when for
whatever reason, someone else seems to like something I made. I like to
think that I don't care, but I do.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter