Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laundry chute

Suz wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message

Our renovation plans contain a new laundry room. Woohoo! Can't wait.
Anyway, it will be on the first floor, and I want a laundry chute from
the girls room on the second floor. Due to layout, this will not drop
vertically but will have a slight bend in it. Any advice on what, if
anything, to line it with?

The kids are normal, why wouldn't they be? It's my idea, as it's muggins
that has to pick them up. Why not reduce labour with a simple addition to
the plans?? Why has this idea got so much hostility? Work smarter, not
harder, that's my motto.

Heh dont worry about it, keep going and you'll get a fine feature
there. How much of an angle will this thing go at? You may still be
able to have a dumb waiter, just modifying the design to suit a slanted
tube. In fact the only mod you'd need would be to add wheels on one
side of the carriage and counterweight, and of course the carriage
would be not square..

Fireproofing would mean a fireproof chute and fireproof doors, which
arent difficult, and maybe natural fibre rope that doesnt produce
nasties in a fire.

Maybe if your carriage is hooked onto the rope it can be unhooked and
longer items hauled up on the rope + hook without the carriage.

In fact a dumb waiter system could run at any angle at all, as long as
the shaft is straight - and even if it isnt it may still be workable.
Why dont you give us more detail about the shaft available.

NT