Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Jason Jason is offline

Default Energy Saving Light Bulbs ?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
For some years now, we have had a standard lamp and a small table lamp in
the lounge both with low wattage energy saving light bulbs in, plugged
into
a time switch then plugged into the wall socket.

Just been looking through a catalogue and it says I quote; "Not suitable
for
use with dimmers, time switches and photo cells"

Anyone like to tell me why.

Some time switches and photo cells power themselves through
the filament even when the bulb is off. This means they don't need
a neutral connection and can be used in place of a light switch.
This doesn't work with compact fluorescent though. Your timeswitch
presumably has a neutral connection and doesn't power itself through
the lamp, so it should be OK.

I was thinking of taking the bulb out of the outside light which is also
run
off a timeswitch and replacing it with a LE ESLB.

Depends what type of timeswitch.

Reading through the replies (and they are varied) this is the correct one
(IMO).

What you may find, with electronic timers and LE bulbs, is that even when
off, the lamp will give a quick flash now and then. This happens as charge
builds up in the electronics of the lamp, until it reaches striking voltage,
then flashes to release the charge.

-- JJ