Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
[email protected] chris_doran@postmaster.co.uk is offline

Default Energy Saving Light Bulbs ?

the_constructor wrote:

For some years now, we have had a standard lamp and a small table lamp in
the lounge both with low wattage energy saving light bulbs in, plugged into
a time switch then plugged into the wall socket.

Just been looking through a catalogue and it says I quote; "Not suitable for
use with dimmers, time switches and photo cells"

Anyone like to tell me why.

I was thinking of taking the bulb out of the outside light which is also run
off a timeswitch and replacing it with a LE ESLB.
--
the_constructor

I can only assume they're prohibiting modern wholly electronic time
switches where the switch is a semiconductor device, just like a
dimmer, which have problems with loads which aren't purely resistive.
However, if your time switch is the older type with a relay or
cam-driver mechanical switch which is effectively no different to a
wall switch, I can't see why it shouldn't work. Indeed, I have two ES
bulbs on such a timer myself for a Christmas display.

Chris