Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Minor Electrical Question...

Can you access the wires that enter (and possibly leave) the box from
another location?

For example, all of the first floor outlets in my 1956 house have their
wires run from the basement, to the box, back to the basment, along the
joists, up to the next outlet and back down again. When I needed to
disable an outlet was going to get blocked, I simply pulled the wires
down into the basement and put in a junction box so the circuit could
continue on.

Sunflowergirl wrote:
Hi,
I have an elecritcal outlet in my kitchen that I would like to cover
with an end panel. It is too difficult for me to move the outlet, so I
just want to "deactivate" it and cover it, if you will. How can I do
this? Is it as simple as taking the face plate and the plug-in part
off and putting electrical tape on the wire ends? Or is this a major
no-no!!!??? Thanks for any advice, and I appologize for my novice
description of my problem!
Christa