Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Minor Electrical Question...

You really are not supposed to cover an electrical junction box. If you were
to do this in a way the box could be accessed in the future, it would be OK.
You would have to remove the receptacle and if there were only two wires
+ground, you would cap the wires. If there are four wires on the outlet,
you'd need to splice together and cap the two white wires, and the two
colored wires, usually black, possibly red. If you do find that there is
only two wires in that box, those wires could be disconnected from an
upstream outlet, then you could bury the "dead" box altogether, although in
doing so, you would undoubtedly be creating a violation in not having the
proper number of outlets for the counter space.

"Sunflowergirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have an elecritcal outlet in my kitchen that I would like to cover
with an end panel. It is too difficult for me to move the outlet, so I
just want to "deactivate" it and cover it, if you will. How can I do
this? Is it as simple as taking the face plate and the plug-in part
off and putting electrical tape on the wire ends? Or is this a major
no-no!!!??? Thanks for any advice, and I appologize for my novice
description of my problem!
Christa