Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice Dave Liquorice is offline

Default Mains adapter for 12V fans - back to school!

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:59:54 -0000, Skeggy wrote:

I've got 3 Sharkoon 1000 PC fans, 12v 1.44 Watt each. I want to power
the rack from a normal plug-in mains adapter. I've got a 12V DC /
800mA adapter available but I'm not quite sure if this will be OK.

12v @ 0.8A = 9.6W

3 fans at 1.44W each = 4.32W

Your adapter is only running at about half its capacity. No problem.

Also, I don't know if the 12/800mA adapter I've got is regulated, or if
this matters. It has a symbol on it like a segmented orange (a bit like
'Panaorama' logo) and also a square within a square if that helps.

Regulation probably doesn't matter much in this instance, if the volts
are low the fans won't go as quick.

Square within a square is "double insulated" or Class II equipment. There
might be a symbol after the 12v 800mA section of the ratings just a line
and broken line below it but all I can find out about that is that in
means "DC". Not regulated/smoothed/full or half wave bridge etc

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail