Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default Chainsaw advice

william kossack wrote in newsv6dnQ2eG-
:

Here another question....

Have you ever used a chainsaw before?

I've seen many dumb things done with chainsaws. You really hurt
yourself badly with one simple mistake. One example is that TV ad where
the guy cuts down a big tree and drops it on his car. I saw some
neighbors nearly do the same thing a few months ago.

If you have never used a chainsaw before I'd recommend getting a smaller
saw, learn how to use it and take care of it first.

Test Tickle wrote:
Hey,

I am looking for a new chainsaw, as I'd like to start harvesting more
wood to feed the habit. I'd love to hear any advice you folks might
have. I know I want a gas powered saw, and I suppose it's better to
buy a longer bar rather than a shorter one -- my old 16 inch was a
little lacking sometimes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

tt

Size your chainsaw to the job. If you only need the saw to cut blanks for
turning as a hobbiest, a Stihl 24", 30" pro is probably overkill. If you
require the saw to fell trees and supply firewood for your winter
existance, a 20"should fit the bill. I use an old Homelite 16" to do all.
When it dies an 18" Stihl will replace it.
Hank