Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default What IS U.K. Voltage ?

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Apparently the idea is that we should all be using 230v which is near
enough to 240v to allow us to run 230v equipment without the need to
change much else nor for us to cob all or 240 stuff. If you look on the
PSU of modern desk tops they are rated for 230v supplies.

I think it is more a case of providing a spec for equipment makers that
would yield kit appropriate for marketing in any country... much of
europe runs on 220V, we use 240V and I don't think that there was
actually an intention to change the voltages actually used - just make
sure equipment works ok anywhere in the anticipated range.

--
Cheers,

John.