Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default (Another) Wiring Question

On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 03:38:22 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Terry wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:39:24 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I need to install baseboard electric heating units in two rooms I'm
refurbishing. One will need a 48" 2000 watt unit; the other a 36" 1500
watt unit.

You need to know the Full Load Amps. If you have the specs for the
heaters it should be listed. If it is less than 16A then you can use
one 20A circuit with number 12 wire.

If it is more than 16A, I think you are required to use 2 circuits.

Two 20A circuits, yes -- but he'd be just fine with one 30A circuit.
[...]
you can use 12/3 without connecting the white to anything.

Maybe he can, maybe he can't -- see my other posts in this thread discussing
the voltage at which the heaters are rated vs. the voltage in the OP's house.
He said the installation instructions say to use a 220V circuit -- suggesting
that the rated output of the heaters may be based on an input of 220V. But
it's likely that his actual supply is 240V, and at the higher voltage the
heaters would draw enough current that he can't put both of them on a single
20A circuit. Two 20A circuits would be fine regardless, as would one 30A.

I am still not sure I follow your explanation. It is true that there
are more than one application for 220V 240V and even 208V, but is it
not true that all homes are designed to be 220 nominal?

I am not sure how buying anything for a home would be designed for
anything else?

The op says 220V and I am sure that he got that from the box. Why
would a home owner assume they had more than 2 choices?

I am also not sure why you would be able to go to a 30A circuit. While
it is true that using a 30A circuit would be more than adequate, I am
unsure that is it permitted by the code. (I hope someone can cite the
section)