Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Hartigan Mike Hartigan is offline

Default 12 volt impact wrench

In article ,
says...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Anyone tried one of these lighter plug impact wrenches? I got to
change a tire a couple weeks ago, and really coulda used an impact.
But do they do any good, or are they all hype and no torque?

The 12V HarborFreight driver only has an impact every couple of
seconds(beats per minute,IIRC= 20).And rated at IIRC,150 ft/lbs.
Most impact wrenches have 100's-1000's of BPM.They might be kinda slow.

**BUT,I've never tried one.**

I use a 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket.
If you pull UPwards on the bar,you use your leg muscles instead of body
weight when pushing down. IMO,you get more force.

The downside of using a breaker bar is that you're far more likely to
break the bolt. An impact wrench is MUCH better for this situation.

While I have never used a cordless impact wrench, I would tend to
have little confidence in a 12V unit. Nevertheless, I will defer to
someone who has actually used one.