Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] beowulf19@iwon.com is offline

Default noise/interference lines in TV when there is a surge of power

Well, after experimenting some more...let me try to provide some
additional information.

My current setup:
36" CRT Television
DVD player - SVHS output to the A/V
A/V receiver SVHS output to the Television
Cable plug into the TV

In this setup, there are major interference lines in the TV anytime the
subwoofer bass kicks in. This is when I'm watching the DVD video
playing the DVD audio. Now, if I switch the video to the cable input
(while still playing the DVD audio), I do not notice any interference
lines in the TV when the Subwoofer draws powers.

Next, I switch the A/V receiver to play audio from the FM tuner. I
switched the video to display the DVD video. The TV interference lines
still present.

I then changed the setup by taking the DVD SVHS output and going
directly to the TV input (bypassing the receiver). I kept the A/V
receiver audio output on the FM tuner, the interference lines where NO
longer present. I then switch the a/v receiver to the DVD audio, the
interference line were slightly present but only at high volume scenes.

Unplugging the cable from the TV had the same result.

In all cases, the cable video didn't seem to be affected by the
subwoofer. (When I turned on a power drill or large appliance on...in
that cases....a few white specs appear in the tv....but this is very
slight.)

I did notice when I plugged the cable into the TV...the subwoofer makes
a hum/buzz when the subwoofer's volume is turned high. Removing the
cable, I can turn the subwoofer's volume to max and no hum or buzz at
all. So, this may be a different problem. Maybe a ground loop issue?

During all my experiments, there were no diming of the lights in the
house. The speakers play clean without any static.

Note: I did try plugging the TV and DVD player into the UPS and have
it run competely off the battery. But, I'm unable to plug the A\V
receiver and have it run off the battery without causing an overload
condition. I still got the interference lines when playing the DVD
audio thru the receiver as mentioned above.

I'm not sure how the house is wired, so I can't comment on that yet.
House built in the early 80's.

Anyway, hopefully the extra information will help. I'm still unsure
what I should try next to eliminate the problem. Obviously, I can
route the DVD video directly to the TV to minimize the issue...but that
still doesn't correct the problem.

Any help or additional suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks!
PC