Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Sand and cement screed - how long to go off

Osprey wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Well I have the same, but I have mounted toilets and bits of studwork on
it. Its OK if you accept that - like plasterboard - its got very low
tensile strength, abut isn't bad in compression and shear.

Well - we agree on this partly ... Screed is a levelling finish, and is
good in compression ... however it is not good for any edge, shear,
tensile etc.
Don't believe me, pull back a carpet and look at screed around stairs
for example - it will more than likely have large cracks in it.

As for PVA giving it hardness & increased strength ... hmmm ...if that
was the case don't you think that this would be standard in the
building trade ? rather than purpse designed hardeners .. and it is not
just a selling ploy, they are a totally different formulation.
PVA give a sealed finish ... not a hardened one.

Screed is certainly not good for holding screws ... hole edge easily
crumbles, very low pull out strength.
If I needed to fix a sole plate of a studded wall and couldn't screw
through to concrete below - then I would glue the wood along it's
length to the screed .. and then just put a few screws into screed act
as location & reinforcing fixing pins.

I spent a long time working on sites - one of the easily damaged items
was floor screed, nice flat finish easily ruined for example by a
carpenter dragging a saw horse over it.

Anyway - advice given, ... the original poster can take their choice
over whether to consider screed as a suitable medium for a secure
mechanical fixing or not.

Might be helpful to establish what exactly you mean by "screed". The
latex stuff?