Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clean mucky mains sockets by cooker?

In article .com,
writes:
myheadisonbackwards wrote:

G'day.

There is a two-gang switched mains socket right next
to my cooker, of the white plastic sort. It needs a good
clean, but the dirt is a sort of sticky greasy stuff from
cooking vapours and splashes.

I cannot clean this stuff off. Can anyone suggest a
way (apart from not letting it get dirty in the first place -
too late!).

caustic soda solution also works, but since its water based the cloth
must be wrung out thoroughly so not a single drip occurs, else youre in
trouble. If youre not the careful attentive type, dont. Also the
solution must be kept off the skin, rubber gloves time.

It must be kept off lots of other things too.
I wouldn't suggest using it in this fashion.

If its really bad, one might consider removing it, dishwashing it,
giving it the time needed to dry out before refitting. However there
are so many safety gotchas in that, dont attempt it unless you do
properly understand them all and can apply the necessary precautions.

If you're going to take it off, consider fitting a new one.

--
Andrew Gabriel