Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default (Another) Wiring Question

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:39:24 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I need to install baseboard electric heating units in two rooms I'm
refurbishing. One will need a 48" 2000 watt unit; the other a 36" 1500
watt unit.

The instructions in each box say that I will need to use a 220v
circuit with "amperage according to local code".

Both rooms are next to each other and I'm wondering if instead of
fishing two wires,

If you need to fish two wires, fish a rope or wire or strong string,
like nylon, and use it to fish each of the two electric wires. You can
use a snake to fish the string. The string only has to be twice as
long as the distance you are fishing it, so you can pull the string
back and forth and not lose the end at either end. And you can
sometimes fish in stages like an inch worm.

I can go with one 10/2 30amp circuit and have both
units branching off the main line. What might be the minimum wiring
and amp circuit? What would be safest? What's the most amperage I can
get out of a 10/2 line?

Related question: I've got tons of 12/3 wiring with ground laying
around unused. Can I turn this into, say, 10/2 by simply clamping
the black and red wires together at the panel and at the end point and
then painting the red wire with black marker pen to indicate power? I
hate to waste wire with the cost of copper these days.

So don't waste it. Give it to someone who needs it. Give it to a
friend or a store that sells the stuff.

I damaged my bathroom sink years ago -- by letting water sit in it for
days or weeks, under a sponge iirc. I thought that a porcelain sink
could hold water for months or years, but maybe my steel and enamel
sink isn't the same as porcelain. So insteaad of going to a good
plumbing supply store, I bought a replacement at a big box store that
is meant to mount on top of the counter instead of underneath, like
the original. Last night I found one that one of my neighbors has
thrown away, and it is a perfect match, and it's in perfect
condition.**

So I'm going to give away the sink I had bought. The store that I
bought the sink from is out of business, 8 years ago, Hechingers, so
I'm going to find a plumbing supply store and give it to them. I was
going to buy a new sink from them, that actually fit, and maybe try
and get some money off for giving them the sink I bought, but now I'll
just give it to them.

**Even the faucets, and the drain pipe and stopper control rod beneath
the sink I found are in perfect condition. And shiny clean. The
faucets are just like mine, so they and the sink are almost certainly
original, which means 27 years old. I don't know how anyone could be
so clean. And there aren't many people here anymore who were here
even 15 years, so it must have been two families in a row who were
clean.

Even then, have any of you ever polished the metal strip behind the
drain which raises and lowers the stopper, or even the drain pipe? I
didn't think one was supposed to clean those parts.