Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default OT And Apologies to Those Who disagree or May Have Seen it

Bill in Detroit (in ) said:

| Morris Dovey wrote:
|
|| Seize the day!
|
| Just be careful which end you grab.
|
| I ran into an observation regarding political correctness the other
| day that I think has wider use. It's a little vulgar, but I think
| that helps the illustration so I'll relay the vulgarity, too.
|
| It was stated that PC is based on the assumption that you can throw
| turd by the clean end. (or words to that net effect).
|
| Arguments about politics seem to me to make a similar error in
| assuming that politics is the source of the answers to our problems
| when the historical evidence might suggest that it is, instead, the
| source of the problems themselves.
|
| Just food for thought and my perspective on the whole plate of
| spaghetti. The topic is, of course, open for debate, but I won't
| join in it.

Did I just see you grab that one by the clean end? vbg

Out here in farm country excrement is a normal fact of everyday life.
We move small amounts with shovels, larger amounts with specialized
machinery, and we even have contests at the state fair to see who can
throw a "cow pie" farthest. Not PC to mention it; but agriculture is
all about turning excrement into the food we all eat.

Interestingly, PC becomes less important as one travels deeper into
farm country - perhaps because the times between harvest and planting
allow a bit of time to consider issues in greater depth than
seasonless 9-5 jobs permit. Here, PC takes a back seat to respect for
the individual and "yabbut does it /work/?" kinds of issues.

My view is that politics is _both_ the source of problems and the
source of solutions.

Soil and water are important here, too. During the last election
campaign, someone quipped that: "He who throws mud, loses ground," and
that's pretty much the way the vote here played out.

Advice to politicians: whatever you find in your hand - don't throw
it!

Since I mentioned soil and water, I might as well put in a plug for
the third important element - the sun. I build the "machinery" to
harvest its warmth.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar