Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default spilled oil

Pdk Pdk wrote:
Yesterday I spilled half a can of automobile oil on the unpainted
concrete floor in my basement. After using rags to sop up most of the
stuff, any ideas how to get up the rest? Will it eventually dry?
It's in a place where I can't really walk around it all the time, but
don't want to be tracking oil through the house. Thanks.

You've got all kinds of answers. Stay away from
those that suggest flammable stuff and leave the
kitty litter for cats. The way to get oil out of
concrete is to spray it with Oven Off, wipe it
with paper, and rinse with water. Sodium
hydroxide and oil make soap. The only caution is
to use a mask or spray the the OvenOff quickly and
walk away for a while so you don't breath the
stuff and to use rubber gloves. One simple spray
and rinse will remove all the oil.

This works so well, two spraying and rinses will
remove almost all oil on concrete that has been
soaked for years.