Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.basics
RBM RBM is offline

Default Old Electrical Outlet

I think the point is that asbestos is not cyanide, You're not going to die
from occasional incidental contact

"redbrickhat" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve Barker LT wrote:
It's safe to cut it even if it is asbestos. Just don't snort it up your
nose or eat it for 20 years in a row.

--
Steve Barker

"redbrickhat" wrote in message
ups.com...

So if the cabling is 2-wire BX and the cloth braid is not asbestos,
would it be safe to cut some of the old braid off?

Thanks

I ask the question because I might have to remove a large portion of
the braided cloth to add a new receptacle.

So: did the old-style BX cables for residential apartments generally
use cotton braided cloth around their wires?

Was asbestos braided cloth used mainly for high-temperature
applications?

Thanks.