Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Dimmers w/halogen bulbs

I agree, if you want to dim them be sure to at least use electronic or
magnetic low voltage dimmers

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Client wants to install some low-voltage halogens with a dimmer. Is this
OK? I know the dimmer will work, since the lamps are a resistive load,
but I'm not sure the halogens want to work on reduced voltage. Anyone
know for sure?

I have had many customers who chose low voltage lights become unhappy when
they decide to install dimmers. There is always a noise problem. Even
with
a dimmer that is rated for magnetic or electronic power supplies there is
still some noise present depending on the light level. If they want to
dim
the lights, don't use low voltage or install multiple switches to shut off
different areas to give a reduced light look.