Posted to rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair,rec.photo.digital
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Feasability of repairing dead 1394 connector on Sony Dig8 camcorder?

Thank you, Guy. I owned an electronics repair business for a while, and this
particular type of repair was able to extend the life of a lot of fragile
connectors. The reason they often break in the first place is that the
connector has more than adequate **electrical** performance but is
**mechanically** under-designed for real-world stresses. Repaired connectors
like Doc's are seldom stronger than when they were new, and will thus easily
break again unless some other reinforcing method is used. I hope this
suggestion may help Doc and possibly others.

Smarty

"Guy" wrote in message
Smarty wrote:
Doc,

Now that you have the faulty pin working, you might consider adding a
Firewire to Firewire adapter like the one shown at:
http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolde...0395/index.php

By "permanently" installing this adapter, and then possibly even
cementing it into the damaged socket, you have transferred any future
stress and mechanical wear from the weak and fragile repaired 4 pin
connector to a new (and larger) 6 pin connector which should absorb some
if not all of the punishment better.

The adapter is cheap, adds very little weight or bulk to your camcorder,
and may prevent future damage which may otherwise not be easily repaired
using your prior method.

Smarty

What a great idea - thanks for sharing it. -Guy