Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Power plug repair question.

"super_dave_42" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a device that has a broken power jack. When I contacted the
manufacturer for replacement parts they wouldn't sell me the connector
directly. They also wanted to charge me $700 to fix it. I don't think
so!!!

Now, I have a jack and plug combination in my junk drawer that will fit
into the space used by the original, but I don't know what my parts are
rated in terms of maximum voltage. Can anyone tell me how much
insulator I should have separating the positive and negative leads of
my connector in order to safely handle the 19.5 volts, 7.7 amps that is
output from my power transformer? Is there anything else I should
consider when trying to find a cheaper replacement?

Thanks,
Dave

p.s. We also just found a plug and jack that appear to be RCA video
cable connections. They would fit as well, but would they handle power?

In this case, the voltage rating is neither here nor there. 19.5 volts is
nothing, and a piece of plastic tape would be enough insulation to be proof
against that sort of voltage. The rating of primary concern is the current
handling capability. If the power supply is capable of providing 7.7 amps,
then you've got to assume that whatever the equipment is ( you don't
specify ) is going to be looking for at least 5 amps at a guess. This is a
fairly significant current for a small connector, and it's contacts will
need to be heavy and of good quality. Although RCA jacks are capable of
carrying a fairly high current, at least the good ones are, the pin
configuration with the exposed centre one, is not very good for hot
connecting.

All in all, unless you are able to find out the rating of the connector pair
that you have to hand, I think that you will have to search the catalogues
for a suitable ringer for the original. An insufficiently rated connector
may well run hot, and damage not only itself, but also the printed circuit
board, to say nothing of the intermittent operation it may give due to
voltage drop across it.

Arfa