Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Need advice on hammerdrill - Christmas present for husband

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 20:56:11 -0500, Jeanne wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:43:39 -0500, Jeanne wrote:

Dave Jackson wrote:
I've have both 18volt Dewalt and Bosch cordless hammer drills and more
recently purchased a Bosch bulldog corded hammer drill. The cordless
ones cannot compare to the Bulldog, it will drill and can drive anchors
in concrete with little effort, and quickly. The bits for the bulldog
are SDS shanks which means they won't fit in a conventional drill. The
bulldog is for production drilling in concrete pretty much exclusively.
However, if your hubby just needs a hammerdrill for occasional
drilling and driving anchors in concrete, the cordless ones will be
just fine. They will take a little longer to get the job done, but are
more versatile in they can also be used with regular bits to drill
wood, metal etc. The Bosch bulldog is somewhat less expensive than the
big 18volt cordless models too. --dave

Dave,

May I have the model name and number of the Bosch Bulldog? When I read
your PS to my husband, he said that was what he wanted. When I tried
searching for Bosch Bulldog, I got the Bosch Bulldog Xtreme (corded)
rotary hammer (like this:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...54915&I=67521).
Obviously, power tools have their own jargon and the distinction
between a rotary hammer and a hammer drill is too fine for me.

Bulldog is not cordless.

Understood.

When I read that corded hammerdrills probably made more sense, I asked
my husband if he minded a corded one. He said no, he realized having the
cordless traded away too much power and usability for his needs.

Cordless rotary hammers aren't cheap, not good ones anyway.

Understood.

The difference between a hammerdrill and a rotary hammer is that a
hammerdrill is a carpentry tool--it will make good-sized holes in wood and
in sheet metal and occasionally small ones in concrete all day, the sort
of thing one does when building houses and wood-frame commercial
buildings. A rotary hammer is a heavy construction tool, it will make big
holes in concrete and structural steel all day, using special bits that
only fit rotary hammers.

Oh good. That sounds like what he wants. The previous owner of our
house covered up the window wells when the back patio was poured. We
want to get rid of the concrete over the window wells. It sounds like
the rotary hammer is a better tool for that.

That sounds more like a job for a breaker hammer. Never had occasion
to bust up concrete myself so can't really say how much tool is enough,
but suspect you're in the realm where rental will make more sense than
buying.

Thanks
Jeanne

--