Posted to alt.home.repair
John Cochran John Cochran is offline

Default Two circuits in one box?

In article . com,
N8N wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:29:18 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Al Tsiemers wrote:
I want to put in 2) 20A curcuits in my shop area. I would like to have them
both go to a string of twin duplex boxes, with the left-hand duplex
recepticle in all boxes on one curcuit, and the right-hand on the other
circuit.
My calculations show a 32 c.i. box is required for 12ga. wire.
Questions:
1) I assume the grounds for both circuits can/should be tied together,
correct? They are uninsulated, so I can't see how that could be avoided.

There's no particular reason why they need to be tied together, and if you use
non-metallic boxes, it's avoidable.

2) If the first box in line gets two GFCI outlets (one for each circuit),
does that change the calculation for box size? Does the yoke count of 2 for
each device change because of the depth of a GFCI receptacle?

Since we've recently, after a mere thousand messages, convinced me
that you can put GFCI outlets on an edison circut, why not
pull one 4-wire cable off a double-pole 20-Amp breaker?

That will reduce the # of wires in each box.

You'd only need a 3-wire cable, actually. they can share a neutral if
they are on opposite phases.

nate

Yes, he can do that. However, if he does that he'll need to use a 2-pole
GFCI breaker instead of two GFCI outlets.
Have you seen the price of a 2-pole GFCI breaker recently?