Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default (Another) Wiring Question

In article , "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
46erjoe wrote:

Related question: I've got tons of 12/3 wiring with ground laying
around unused. Can I turn this into, say, 10/2 by simply clamping
the black and red wires together at the panel and at the end point and
then painting the red wire with black marker pen to indicate power? I
hate to waste wire with the cost of copper these days.

Well I can't think of a violation if you would cut the black or red wire
at each end, or cap it, but not use it in any part of the circuit. I am not
sure about that however. Of course you would not have 10/2 you would have
12/2.

Yes, and that might in and of itself be a violation, as I explained in an
earlier post -- he might *need* a 30A circuit.

--
Regards,