surftom

Default Cutting or punching square holes in steel sheet?

Answering my own post but... go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and look at page
2124 of the catalog (DIN punches) the 45mm (1.77in) is no problem but they
only go to 92mm (3.626in)
and the price is US$549 - and then you still need the hydraulic press - like
I said - farm it out

"surftom" wrote in message
news
You may find a specific puch at mcmaster carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ for
the bigger hole - something like an LCD window puch or you can have it
custom made - then you need the hydraulic press to run it - but be

prepared
to pay a lot of money - you may be better off producing your

panel/faceplate
in a drawing / cad program and farming the work out to someone with a
laser/water jet cutter or if you don't mind a little cleanup a CNC plasma
cutter - for 50 to 100 or so it would be way cheaper than a big punch/die.
If your product starts to move and you need more then you might want to
consider spending the money for the equipment.
The other option is to do it by hand (small square puch the corners then
cut the rest) but given that you have other holes to make and of various
sizes - you would be better off hiring it out - the added advantage is

that
you can be spot on with placement & accuracy everytime.

I hate hiring out myself, but when I have produced face panels and such

this
has been far more economical (and time saving) than the the Do It Yourself
approach

Good Luck

Tom

"Q" wrote in message
k...
I need to make some square ( approx. 50*100 mm ) and round ( approx.

75mm
diameter ) holes in either 2 mm steel or 3 mm aluminum sheet..

I can cut the round holes using a holesaw ( bimetal body, carbide

tipped )
in the drillpress, but how do I cut the square holes with a good result?

I have a drillpress ( cheap one ), but I am willing to invest some money

(
not a fortune though ) in the proper tools if needed.. A CNC mill would

be
nice, but not quite within the budget .-)

Any suggestions will be appreciated

/peter ( another one of those weird scandinavians )