Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Central Authority The Central Authority is offline

Default Kettles with concealed elements - are they all so noisy?

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:32:40 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

SWIMBO bought a shiny new steel kettle, and now we can't listen to the
kitchen radio when its on

As an aside I'd note that the kitchen radio we bought turned out to be
a lost cause because every *thing* and every *activity* in the kitchen
drowned it out.

(the kettle that is!!) because it makes such a
vigorous 'kettling' racket, and not just when it's near boiling.

That IIRC was the problem with original Goblin "Teasmades".

About 25 mins before the appointed hour it made a very loud "click",
(like a mousetrap) and then made kettling noises for the remaining 25
mins until the tea was ready, so you didn't wake to a fresh cup of
tea, you woke to all this infernal racket.

ISTR old fashioned kettles used to go quiet just before starting to
boil vigorously. Presumably once the air has been boiled out of the
region near the element it goes quiet. It's likely the new order
kettles with large surface area heating surfaces just heat the water
too uniformly and gradually prolonging the agony.

Doubtless it's due to Air/O2 bubbles forming and collapsing. But AIUI
water without dissolved air makes poor tea, (I don't partake myself),
so can't suggest anything. :-(

DG