Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Kettles with concealed elements - are they all so noisy?

Phil Addison wrote:
SWIMBO bought a shiny new steel kettle, and now we can't listen to the
kitchen radio when its on (the kettle that is!!) because it makes
such a vigorous 'kettling' racket, and not just when it's near
boiling. Last weekend I talked to a guy in our independent appliance
retailer and he said they are all like that these days, its due to
the trendy new 'concealed element' design.

The concealed element 'feature' is where the element is embedded in
the flat bottom of the kettle, rather than being the conventional
'bent rod' style immersed in the water. I think the noise is due to
the large flat base acting as a kind of sounding board.

On a quick look it seems as if this style of kettle is all that's
available these days. Has anyone else come across this problem? Any
recommendations for a good quiet cordless kettle?

Why would anyone purchase something like this? - I mean, what's the point? -
if the design hasn't been improved (and it sounds like it most definitely
hasn't) why change just for the sake of changing? - are they supposed to be
energy saving?

We buy cordless kettles from supermarkets, the last one was p'chased from
Asda 3.5 yrs ago and set us back the princely sum of £6, it still works but
there's a small leak at the window where the water level is shown, I use it
for work, the new one cost a fiver from Morrisons, had a plug on it and
everything.