Posted to uk.d-i-y
steve573 steve573 is offline

Default Oil fired heating question, help please....

Hello Everybody,
We have recently moved into a house in the middle of Snowdonia in Wales
which isn't supplied with mains gas. So we have a big Stanley range
(like an Aga) in the kitchen which, as well as doing the cooking,
supplies hot water to a cylinder upstairs and heats water for the
central heating system direct from its internal boiler. Its fired by
oil from a tank outside in the garden. I recently bled the radiators
and 3 of the upstairs ones had a far bit if air in them. When I did
this before in our previous modern, condenser boilered house you would
then need to top up the heating system by letting more water in it via
a valve on the boiler to about 1.5 BAR as indicated by a guage on the
boiler. I presume I need to do this on our current system but cannot
see how to do it. There is no inlet or pressure dial on the range, I
have found the heating pump and room stat, nothing there either. Theres
a water tank in the loft but nothing else. Trouble is there are pipes
running everywhere as there are open fires in all of the downstairs
rooms and 2 of them look to have had back boilers (no longer used)
judging by the pipes coming from behind them. Does anybody know if
these type of systems are self filling or something or if not how I top
up the system and how I know when the pressure in the system is about
right?? The heating system is working fine and all of the rads are
getting hot but I just want to know if I need to keep it pressured as
in a more modern system.
Thanks in advance for any guidance,
Steve.