Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Laird John Laird is offline

Default Pilot light gas usage

wrote:
On Dec 7, 10:22 am, "John Laird" wrote:
[Slight topic shift - has anyone bought one of those power usage
devices and found it useful? I'm thinking of checking out what power
my various toys on standby use. For example, my laptop charger seems
to cool right off when off-charge (although I tend to disconnect it

Almost certainly an efficient switch mode supply.

Indeed.

anyway) whereas the brick for my DAB radio is always warm.]

Probably a cheap inneficient transformer and linear regulator.

The radio wasn't cheap ;-) Although I note the even cheaper-feeling
lightweight "brickette" for my mobile phone stays cool.

Anytime the heating is on, the heat from your wall warts isn't wasted.

It's lost in the noise, though. I put out way more heat than these
silly things, but if I cost money to run, at least it's pleasurable
money. Like many people, I am alarmed how quickly a few watts here and
there adds up over a year, both by the effect on my pocket and
ultimately what it means in terms of fossil fuel use. (I reserve the
right to go and waste a similar amount in my car over a weekend,
though!)

--
"I always get my muckin words fuddled."