Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default icicle forming on outdoor faucet

If it's copper, compression fittings would also do the job and as you
said about plastic pipe "a pretty trivial job that anyone who's
familiar with basic hand tools can easily accomplish."

Now, let's not get into a long discussion on the merits of sweat
fittings vs. compression. I'm simply pointing out another, perhaps less
scary, option for the OP.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article om, wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:

during two recent below 20 degree nights, an icicle has formed on one
of the outdoor water faucets. there is no apparent leak,

Of course there's an apparent leak -- the icicle is evidence of that.

and no problem is visible

What, you don't consider an icicle to be a visible problem? You have a leak.

I can't find a way to turn off that faucet. There is no turn value for
that faucet only.

Then you need to install one. Promptly. Or call a plumber.

What type of pipes do you have? If it's any type of rigid plastic, this is a
pretty trivial job that anyone who's familiar with basic hand tools can easily
accomplish. If it's copper, you need a plumber's torch, and the skills to
sweat-solder copper pipe -- not rocket science, but not quite trivial either.
If it's steel, probably time to call a plumber. If it's PEX (flexible plastic
tube), definitely time to call a plumber: PEX isn't hard to work with, but it
does require specialized tools which most homeowners don't have. So... whatcha
got? Let's see if we can help you get a shutoff installed.

--
Regards,