Posted to alt.home.repair
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default varnish strippers

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Father Haskell spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Father Haskell spake thus:

g wrote:

I'm doing some intro woodworking projects and need a good chemical
stripper that easy to clean up, will not interfere with sanding, and low
toxity level.

They're all toxic.

Not the citrus-derived ones.

Which gave me a splitting headache and made me feel
slightly drunk. Great at stripping lacquer from some old
Thomasville chairs I refinished, but far from benign.

Really? Not doubting you, just surprised: I've always found this stuff
quite pleasant to work with, and wasn't aware that it made any vapors at
all. The brand I use is Citristrip by Speciality Environmental
Technologies.

Citristrip.

Maybe other types aren't so good. Or maybe I'm just
insensitive to something that bothers you.

Probably, or I had a stronger exposure.