Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default What wood for spoon?

"Toller" wrote in message
I have a large wooden cooking spoon. Nothing happens to it when you toss
it in the dishwasher (other then getting clean...), but it is maybe 10
years old and starting to show its age.
I made one out of walnut, but it gets pretty ratty after one washing.

What wood is good for this purpose? The one I have looks like ash, but is
probably some Asian wood.

I have two thoughts on this.

One, is that wooden spoons are cheap and plentiful and you could easily pick
up some wood spoons at many stores near you.

Secondly, this is a small enough job, you could just experiment. Try
different woods. Have fun with it. It isn't like a big investment in wood
or time. See what you come up with. Any surplus could end up as christmas
presents.

Remember the PBS series about the guy who built a cabin in Alaska and lived
there for many years? He just grabbed some wood he chopped down and started
splitting and carving. He produced a big wooden spoon very quickly. This was
immediately pressed into service as an overall cooking and eating implement.
I wonder how many years that hand carved spoon served him in this wilderness
setting.