Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Moisture absorbing calcium chloride crystals

Aidan Karley lid wrote:
In article
, D.M.
Procida wrote:
I have a little plastic thing from Woolworths into which I pour calcium
chloride crystals, to act as a moisture absorber in an under-stairs

Calcium chloride is a pretty dodgy chemical to have around the
house. I'd expect it to find buckets of it in my father's house
(ex-industrial chemist, with a wife who's learned over 50 years to put
containers of chemicals back in the cupboard without opening them.
Are you really really certain that this device recommends use of
granular calcium chloride?

cupboard which is damper than it ought to be.

What I'm left with after some time is a liquid and a solid mass.

See later for the likely chemistry.

If I pour off the liquid, and leave the solid mass in a warm dry place,
say on top of a radiator, will it be any good at absorbing moisture from
the air once again?

Two tenths of bugger all.

Are there like to be any nasty substances released into the air as it
dries?

No.

Why am I left with a solid and a liquid, not just some dissolved calcium
chloride?

Calcium chloride will absorb copious water from the atmosphere. The
resulting nearly neutral solution of CaCl2 will pick up small amounts of
CO2 from the atmosphere, which will produce a precipitate of calcium
carbonate. That'll be your solid residue.

If this was true, the calcium has to go out of solution too, as half of
the CaCO2.
For each molecule of CaCO2 that's produced, you've got to have an atom
of Chlorine that's released into the air (after the solution is
saturated by chlorine)