Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default blown output transistors

wrote in message
ps.com...
Well, the good news is the sooner you get onto another piece of kit the
sooner you're going to have a result.
Plus you can use your TIPs to make a nice big power amp.
Coincidentally, you've even got the psu, case & preamp all already
there.

The pre-amp/amp are *heavily* integrated, same PSU. I'd have to look pretty
hard to find a point to break into the circuit at pre-out. I think I'll
just build myself a 20-150Hz variable low-pass filter and 50W push/pull amp
for the subwoofer with the TIPs. I can cut the board off (the PSU is well
isolated off by itself) and use the relatively large empty space for my new
amp. Conveniently, the 4-channel audio processor chip which provides input
switching btween three sets of input jacks (even a high-gain set!) are all
on the PSU end of the board.

I'm disappointed I can't get it working fully as it *potentially* does
exactly what I want.

Oh well, success is knowing when to cut your losses.

Dave

Mark Z wrote:

The problem is that the base-emitter junction of each output transistor is
effectively a diode to the diving circuit, clamping at around .6 volt,
unless the outputs are Darlintons, of course...

I reckon this one has horrors instead of darlings for the output

NT