Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] J.W.T.Smith@kent.ac.uk is offline

Default Removing small dents from wood

Hi,

Lobster and others who suggested this,

I tried the hot steam iron approach and it worked quite well. I've
never done it before so I started with a damp cloth folded twice (4
layers), then once (2 layers) then just one layer. I was amazed how hot
I got that piece of wood without causing it serious damage (though it
did warp a tiny amount and the grain around the marked area was raised
a little). I even tried it with just a sheet of paper kitchen towel but
I never placed the iron directly on the surface. Fortunately this
wooden piece is just trim so I was able to take it off and work on it
away from the speaker.

It took over an hour to get an appreciable improvement and I suspect
only a tiny amount of water got through the varnish but it did make a
difference. The mark is still there but you have to look for it and
have the light at the right angle.

Thanks,

John.

Lobster wrote:
wrote:

I managed to damage the wooden top of a new hi-fi speaker. The scrape
was caused by the corner of a plastic foldable crate (rounded not
sharp). The mark is across the grain and the indentations are deepest
where the grain is soft and less where the grain is hard, so I assume
this is real wood not veneered chipboard.

I'd go along with the suggestions of using the iron and steaming it -
that trick really has to be seen to be believed! - however IIWY I'd
investigate further whether this really is solid wood. Sounds unlikely
to me that it would be, but I'm no audiophile: maybe it's normal? But
anyhow, if it IS veneered chipboard I would think steaming would make a
total balls of it.

David