Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Furnace vs. Heat Pump

"Kate" wrote in message
My last house had a heat pump. One winter I closed off several vents to
rooms that I do not use, thinking it would warm up the rest of the
house faster, and cheaper. Wrong. It shut down, and a guy came out and
fixed it for $60 by adding a booster. Not exactly sure what that was
all about but it worked for the last eight years I lived in that home.
He also told me that with a heat pump you cannot close off the vents.

Now, in my present home, I have a furnace only. Is it safe to close vents
in several bedrooms that I don't use.

Thaanks.

Kate

It is more a matter of degree. If you close off too much the total air
flow becomes less, you loose efficiency and your overall cost may go up to
heat less area. You also can tax the equipment so it may fail and you can
end up paying repair cost. It is not possible to give an accurate direct
answer on-line to your question since there are so many variables. Even on
site it would be difficult and to get any kind of accuracy would require
quit a bit of calculation. The usual answer is going to be, don't do it, as
it is the safe answer.

My guess, and what I would likely do. Partly close off those bed rooms.
Make sure all other vents, including those that may be in the basement or
utility room are full open. Also make sure your filter is clean and keep it
that way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit