Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Woody in TN Woody in TN is offline

Default newbie question about checks in bowls

I've been turning bowls for almost a year now and have run across this
problem several times. I usually turn wood I collect from the yard or
woods nearby. I've made several bowls that had checks in them, some
have even broken on the lathe. I just roughed out a 10" bowl in
beautifully spalted silver maple and found a check that runs from the
lip all the way to the bottom nearly to the center. The bowl is wet
now and as it dries I'm afraid the check will grow and ruin the bowl.
Is the bowl doomed or is there a way to save it? FYI... I slow dry my
bowls in a paper bag filled with shavings, usually from the bowl just
turned.