Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Newbie question - Wood for drawers

On 5 Dec 2006 15:01:58 -0800, "Dan" wrote:

Hello --

I have in mind some projects whose size does not exceed One cubic foot.
I have noticed that several kits I have purchased have wood of 3/8 of
an inch or less in thickness. When I hit the area lumber yard, Such
stock is not in immediate evidence. I would like to use the smaller
size, as a drawer of cigar box size with 3/4 inch sides is a bit over
whelming.

I have heard of resawing Lumber. I do have knowledge of planers.
Is this how you get thin stock, or Should I be trying a corner of a
lumeryard, perhaps another lumber yard?

Thanks

--dan

A thickness planer or surface sander. Drawer sides are typically
1/2". Smaller drawers can use thinner stock. You can use ply and
cover the edges with solid hardwood. I have not had good luck finding
thin solid wood. Another option is to have a cabinet shop surface plan
your stock. Surface planers are around $400.