Posted to rec.woodworking
Gwidman Gwidman is offline

Default Need advice on hammerdrill - Christmas present for husband

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
Hi,

My husband asked for a hammerdrill for Christmas. I had never even heard
of one before he mentioned the word(s?). I've tried to do some research
but as usual, there are way too many suspects even within one single
brand.

I think I'm looking for a cordless 18 volt hammerdrill. Certainly no
larger. The three names that keep popping up are DeWalt, Bosch, and
Milwaukee.

I welcome any suggestions for specific models and where to buy them
(online if necessary).

TIA,
Jeanne

I'd also like to throw the name Metabo into the discussion. Metabo make
*excellent* drills and hammerdrills, corded and cordless. I've had Metabo
corded (hammer)drills for 32 years now and they've all been top notch.
Wouldn't
buy anything else. (Considering that a Hilti would be over the top for my
needs, that is).

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but last year I switched all my drilling
operations to cordless impact drills. I have a Dewalt and a Ryobi, and I
love them equally. They get used every day. My question is: has anybody
tried hammerdrilling with them? The chucks of impact drills only hold 1/4
inch hex drills or bits, but I haven't seen any cement bits other than
round, making it impossible to chuck in impact drills. Anybody have any
experience with trying to drill in cement with an impact drill?

On topic, I have a very old Skil hammerdrill that I just happened to need to
use last week. It's 20+ years old and has been used lightly, but it still
works very well. I inherited it from my Dad.

gw