Posted to chi.general,alt.autos.toyota.camry,misc.consumers.house
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default How to keep locks from getting frozen?

Sherlock Holmes writes:

In article , says...
Eric writes:

Yes, but you can get the same ones at HD. Just go with Schlage, and stay
away from Kwikset (and no-name brands).

FWIW, the Schlage crap at Home Depot sucks too. Just try to have them
key a few locks the same and watch them cuss over the sloppy
manufacturing tolerances and ruin a few locksets before they manage to
get your locks keyed the same.

Nonsense. The Schlage locks at Home Depot are the same as the same model
of Schlage locks anywhere else -- the HD employees are blaming the
hardware for their own incompetence.

Maybe.

But do professional locksmiths often have to file off large metal
burrs left on top of holes where the pins drop in so the cylinder plug
can go back in without binding? Seems like sloppy manufacturing to
me to leave burrs like that that need to be filed off.

And I'm not sure why on two separate occasions folks at two different
home depots, 2 years apart, had similar struggles and both,
unprompted, volunteered that they don't have nearly as much trouble
rekeying other brands.

And to add additional circumstantial evidence to my forming "Schlage =
crap" opinion, over Thanksgiving, I visited a relative with a fancy
new front door lockset and handle. Pressed down on the thumb lever --
solid, wouldn't move. They open the door and welcome us inside,
puzzled since the door was unlocked. For some reason, the mechanism
would randomly bind so no one could get in, key or not.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the brand stamp on that
mechanism. And guess where it was purchased when I asked the
homeowner where they happened to get it. Could be his error, but not
too sure what you could do to cause metal on metal binding randomly.

So Schlage may be the cat's ass of locks, but based on these three
experiences I won't be buying any more any time soon.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/